This intimate portrait of a rural family’s inner lives and their relationship to a harsh and shifting landscape follows Ennis, a stern, hard-working dairy farmer, as he struggles to maintain control of his family and surrounding environment, and his wife, Christina, as she retreats into herself, increasingly disconnecting from her husband and their five children.
“A primal tragedy rendered with exquisite imagery” – Variety
As tensions increase, each character must confront their yearnings and anxieties, culminating in a dangerous conflict between control and freedom, intimacy and alienation.
A journey into the unpredictable boundaries of human behavior, Medeas explores the desperate lengths people are driven to by love and self-preservation.
“Medeas is successful as an atmospherically intimate story of a family whose fate is written not in the stars, but in its pronounced breakdown of communication, and how unspoken tension gradually accumulates until it’s ready to burst.” – Slant Magazine
“With a singular, carefully controlled vision and luminous 35 mm cinematography, Andrea Pallaoro imbues a heartbreaking domestic story with an iconic, mythical feel.” – Palm Springs International Film Festival
- Winner, Best Director, Marrakech International Film Festival
- Winner, New Voices/New Visions Grand Jury Prize, Palm Springs International Film Festival
- Winner, Best Cinematography, Camerimage
- Winner, Critics Special Mention, Terra di Siena Film Festival
- Nominated, New American Cinema Award, Seattle International Film Festival
- Winner, Best Cinematography, Nashville Film Festival
- Winner, Best Actress, New Director’s Competition, Nashville Film Festival
- Nominated, Grand Jury Prize New Directors Competition, Nashville Film Festival
- Nominated, International Competition, Salento International Film Festival
Features an acclaimed cast including:
Catalina Sandino Moreno (Fast Food Nation, Maria Full of Grace), Brían F. O’Byrne (Million Dollar Baby), Mary Mouser (Body of Proof), Ian Nelson (The Hunger Games), Maxim Knight (Falling Skies), Jake Vaughn (Midwife), and Kevin Alejandro (True Blood, Southland)
99 minutes on 1 disc / 2013 / Directed by Andrea Pallaoro
HOW TO ORDER:
Public Performance and Digital Site Licenses are available through Soundview Media Partners. To inquire or to place an order, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply choose from the options below:
For group screening prices, please inquire.
WATCH THE TRAILER